Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Late Night Amateur Astronomy For Insomnia

I've mentioned previously how sometimes, more often than I'd like, how I will experience a week or so of terrible insomnia. Most nights I can read until I tired my eyes out and then they can't help but close.  However; on some nights that doesn't work and I'll spend hours gazing at the stars, satalites and constellations from the comfort of my home. Nearly a year ago I downloaded the SkyView app for iPad and I have yet to regret it. If you're the type of person who is fascinated by knowing what goes on in our night sky; then this is spacey, FREE (in ap purchases available and worth it) and engaging app that you can use from the comfort of anywhere might be for you.

SkyView - Explore the Universe is an astronomy app that uses the GPS and compass in your phone to pinpoint your location and show you where all the surrounding celestial bodies are, even if your view is blocked. Most of the app works without an Internet connection so you can take it on camping trips or for a night of star gazing in he own backyard. (try loungin in a hammock with wine!)  Planets, stars, constellations, and satellites are magnified so you can "see" where they are during the day or night. As if that wasn't entertaining enough, by tapping on the displayed objects you can read numerous facts about them and track their movement through the sky. You can also search for objects that are above the horizon and follow an arrow on the screen to locate them. It's literally hours of entertainment! It requires iOS 7.0 or later and is compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.

 
I attached a few simple screen grabs of some of the constellations that are surround me right now. LIKE LITERALLY NIGHT NOW.  So what's in the sky around you? -Taffeta Darling