Monday, April 20, 2015

Music For Monday: The Slackers

This week's music post highlights one of my favorite bands, The Slackers.  I got into these guys nearly 15 years ago and they instantly became a staple in my life and life style at the time including the relationships and friendships I had going on. Ska, Reggae and Rocksteady music has always been important part of my life. There's something so uplifting about dancing along to the upbeats of these genres that clear my mind and help me relax. Whether it's songs about social and political justice, heart break or romance, this music moves me and makes me smile. (Another reason why music has always been my own form of spiritualmreligion) Tonight The Slackers are playing a FREE show at Trees in Deep Ellum. If you're not familiar with this band, I highly encourage you to step out on a Monday night for an evening of community dancing. 

The Slackers formed in NY during 1991 and have this incredible ability to mix ska, reggae, dub, jazz, rock and rocksteady effortlessly.  Although they haven't put out an album out since 2010, they're back and touring throughout 2015.  The Slackers' notability is credited to their prolific career, tours of North America, Europe, and elsewhere, and signing to notable punk label Hellcat Records. My two favorite albums by them are "Better Late Than Never" and "Red Light"

Check  some of the links I've included to their Spotify albums and official website to listen and purchase their tunes.
-Taffeta Darling