Thursday, October 1, 2015

Countdown to Halloween: October 1st

Annnnnnd it's back! My annual Halloween movie countdown done via cult classics, fan favorites, chiller/thriller and all things macabre. This year I'm going to try my damnedest to not repeat myself in movie choices. I've been doing this for a while now that it's only natural some repeats come about... BUT I made it my goal to have very few of them.
Starting out the month long event is the 1944 black and white classic HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN from Universal. House of Frankenstein brings together The Wolfman, The Hunchback, Dracula, the mad scientist and the gypsy damsel in distress. 

After escaping from prison, the evil Dr. Niemann (Boris Karloff) and his hunchbacked assistant, Daniel (J. Carrol Naish), plot their revenge against those who imprisoned them. For this, they recruit the powerful Wolf Man (Lon Chaney), Frankenstein's monster (Glenn Strange) and even Dracula himself (John Carradine). Niemann pursues those who wrong him, sending each monster out to do his dirty work. But his control on the monsters is weak at best and may prove to be his downfall.

What I enjoy most about this movie is that Boris Karloff steps away from the monster make up, grunts and miming and goes ball to the wall ape shit as the mad scientist who is trying to resurrect Frankenstein's monster to carry out vengeful acts. As the mad scientist Niemann, he enlists the Wolfman and Dracula to aid him in this plan that takes him through familiar scenes set up previously in the original monster movies. If you're a fan of the Universal franchise and especially Karlofff and Chaney, you'll appreciate all the nods to the best of the classics this movie offers.

Check out the trailer http://youtu.be/I90bPakb1zs  ...I'm doing this mobile and unable to embed at the moment


If you've seen this or do see this, let me know what you think! - Taffeta